A friend of mine presented me with a thank you gift, the We R Memory Keepers Flower Punch Board. This is something that I was interested in getting for myself, so I was really surprised and happy when she gave me the flower punch. So, I just had to play with it. I said to myself, “what paper should I start off with?” Since I have a LOT of paper, this is not an easy decision. Then I decided to just try the punch out on some scrap paper. But not just any old scrap paper, I decided to use the punch on the political flyers that have been filling up my mailbox. You know the sayings: make lemonade out of lemons, so I thought why not make a flower out of political mudslinging.
Since the mailers are made out of a heavy cardstock, I wanted to see if the punch would be up to the cut. The punch worked beautifully, and the instructions that come with the punch are very easy to follow. The nice added bit is that there is a bone folder/scorer and a petal curler that store inside the board. The instructions are pretty easy, and the size of paper strip you need to cut for each flower size is printed on the board in inches and metric. All you do is punch and score and then accordion fold the flower and glue or tape the ends. Voila, my finished flower! I stacked the XLarge, Medium and XSmall flowers to create an 8 inch flower.
We R Memory Keepers Punch Boards: http://www.weronthenet.com/Punch_Boards
I may have mentioned in previous blogs that I am a caregiver for a disabled friend. This means that I retired a little earlier than I had planned because she needs some assistance for a lot of day-to-day things. One thing that she is not able to do is tackle yard work. My friend needed to have her property appraised (property values in our neighborhood have been rising) and we were advised that there were a few things that needed to be done to the property to increase the value.
The main issue was the swimming pool, because just as soon as we had an appraiser scheduled, the pool filter died. Well, one of the housemates is certified in all things swimming pool, so she has tackled this issue (bless her heart) and worked her little tail off. The result is that we now have a new filter and a clean swimming pool. Between work and the pool the poor darling is exhausted.
I volunteered to clip the vines. I have to admit because of some health issues I had fallen down on the job. The vines are cat claw vines, from the neighbor’s back yard, that have been climbing over the fence and covering the north side of the house. There has been an ongoing battle between the vines and the circuit box. In past years I have tackled these vines about twice a year. I have just done some minimal clipping the past couple of years because my energy was pretty low. Now that I am on the right kind of medication, I have energy again. So my task was to clip away all of those encroaching vines on the north side of the house, and the west corner where the electrical stuff is.
We had about a week-and-a-half to take care of all of this stuff, in Arizona, in July, during the monsoon season. Needless to say I clipped vines in between dust storms, thunderstorms and 100 plus degree weather. Wisely, I chose to do all this work in the early morning. There is still the big bush to take care of, but we have someone coming in a week or so to take care of that. I’m exhausted!