I dove in and started my first techniques with mixed media. I started out with a set of Color Me card toppers from Hot Off the Press (they were on sale). I decided that I would use a different media for coloring toppers from this set.
Using Fluid Chalk Ink Pads
Colors: Fawn, Splash, Concord, Harvest, and Pink Sky
I am frugal with my craft tools, and I use either freezer paper or parchment paper for my craft sheet. Freezer paper has a plastic coated “shiny” side that works well with using water coloring techniques. I also used an acrylic stamp block, cosmetic sponge and brushes. I used a cosmetic sponge with the Fawn ink pad to color the outside text area of the color me topper. I pounced the ink pads a couple of times on the acrylic block and with a wet brush picked up the color and painted the flowers. Since I didn’t have a green inkpad, I mixed some of the Splash and Harvest together to create an olive green color for the leaves. I used a cosmetic sponge to pick up the aqua “Splash” for the central area and brushed it across. I accidently got one edge of the topper a little damp, so you can see the paper curled up a little.
Stampin‘ Up Watercolor Pencils (from over 10 years ago, they are actually crayons) and baby wipes.
I have had these crayons in my stash for years and have never really used them much. I think you get actual pencils now from Stampin’ Up. I have been curious about using Gelato sticks, and found out that the techniques that are described for using Gelatos work with these crayons.
I cut one topper in half; and used different coloring techniques on each half. I used a brown watercolor crayon and roughly colored the border of the text half of the topper. I then used a baby wipe to blend the edges of the topper, and then colored the center with the color on the baby wipe. I have seen this technique used with Gelatos on some craft videos.
For the floral half, I used a light aqua alcohol pen to color in the text area. I then scribbled various tropical pink and orange colors on my freezer paper and used a wet paintbrush to color the flowers and leaves.
I used red, yellow green and light aqua alcohol pens to color the final topper image. As you can see, I’m learning how to use my alcohol pens. I still have to learn blending techniques.
I’m going to make a couple of cards from some of the toppers. I’m planning on working on them in the next couple of days.